One
of the initial hang-ups in starting this blog was our self-proclaimed
lack of knowledge on any one subject, which we felt put us at a
disadvantage. What could we possibly sustain a dialogue about given how
little we know about anything? We got around this by gearing towards
discovery and exploration, but we realized something in coming to this
conclusion: everyone knows a substantial amount of at least one subject.
Thus began our respective searches for an expert, and here’s what we
found:
Diana (Harrogate, North Yorkshire):
I found about as big of an expert as I am going to find on the NFL
draft. He’s watched the draft live every year for the last 12 years of
his life. Given our time difference here in the UK, my expert had to
take leave to watch the draft live. The draft has been kind of the topic
of the last week here on base, but my expert just kind of stood out
because he was the one who was the most dedicated to it. Again, he took
one of his annual 30 days of military leave off for this! The draft
happens over three days starting with the best picks first and then
moving on to the rest of the players who are left over. The
one that everyone is talking about this year, though it wasn’t exactly
surprising, is the release of quarterback Tim Tebow from NY Jets. Tebow
was, of course, the star quarterback for the University of Florida, but
his skills haven’t exactly transferred into the NFL. So after three
years in the NFL, Tebow is not doing great, which is weird considering
our own quarterback from UGA, Matt Stafford, is doing fairly well in the
NFL.
Elsa (Brooklyn, NY): I
found my expert in a roundabout way. At first I tried going up to
people and asking them “What are you an expert at?” As it turns out,
they had the same reservations we did with calling themselves experts,
so I had to approach the issue at a slant. I changed the question to,
“About which subject do you love talking and don’t get asked enough?”
This yielded much better results. When I asked my roommate Geoff this
question, he immediately identified “movies, books, and video games set
in post-apocalyptic worlds” as his topic of choice. Per Geoff, the
appeal in these stories comes from watching a person get their primal
reset button pushed. When commodities are scarce, people’s desire to
survive gets tested in a way that you or I could only vaguely imagine.
Given the level of passiveness in our day-to-day survival, the contrast
in their active effort to stay alive triggers an emotional response. We
root for these people; we want them to succeed regardless of how bleak
that success actually looks. And the visually bleak aesthetic serves a
purpose too. Geoff mentioned the pervasive use of fire-related imagery
in Cormac McCarthy’s The Road,
which works most effectively precisely because of the contrasting
backdrop. Geoff considers himself an optimist, so the idea that fire
served as a stand-in for hope really resonated with him. And in the end,
it’s absolutely a visual representation of the internal struggle.
Diana: I
learned about a lot of stuff. Honestly sports is not my thing but like
he pointed out it is current affairs. We just had our “boards” for some
of our best enlisted people where we grill them over current affairs,
leadership situations, and history. One of the categories under current
affairs is sports. It was the second thing on there, in fact. The
funniest to me was a guy who tried to argue the question and said it was
a complete and total lie. I don’t know if you saw the finals for
college basketball but there was a guy who broke his leg in the worst
way possible. Kevin Ware. The question was “Do you think Kevin Ware’s
gruesome injury contributed to his team’s win?” The guy said that team
did not win. The room went silent. I laughed. I think I just laugh at
too many things that I probably shouldn’t, but anyways, sports are
followed by a lot of people. I’ve read that even President Obama is
usually flying on AF One with ESPN on in the background instead of some
news network. Of course, now it’s an event that ESPN and sports buffs
are all over but it wasn’t like that before. It’s been one of those
things that has been hyped up by 24/7 tv coverage. They, of course, have
scrolls on ESPN but those actually make more sense to me than the ones
on CNN but because at least the ones on ESPN tell you the different
scores of different sports and teams and such.
Elsa:
I really enjoyed talking to my expert as well. We talked about a couple
more of his favorite uses of the trope (Fallout and Mad Max), but what
really caught my attention was the idea that desolation can turn
transience on its head. For example, I come in contact with a tremendous
number of people every day. That’s not to say that we interact, but
there are a lot of us moving around past each other trying to go about
our day without too much disruption. Now can you imagine how that
attitude would change if the number of people dropped so drastically
that your interactions totaled, say, one per week if you’re lucky? A
desolate world necessarily implies a higher value on interactions; it
implies that the default would not be to take each other for granted. If
interactions become scarce and connections hard to come by, each one
seems worth more somehow.
No comments:
Post a Comment